Sulfate-free shampoo is a healthy move for your hair: detergent free, these gentler formulas won’t strip your hair of moisture, decimate nutrients, or dry out colored, curly, or wavy hair.
The problem? Sulfate-free shampoos are detergent free. Wait, what? Yes, that’s both the benefit and the problem: no detergent reduces a shampoo’s lathering power, which in turn can make it tough to truly clean your locks.
Using a good ol’ sulfate-free shampoo can work wonders for your hair and scalp, especially if you have sensitive skin. So, without further ado, here are the best sulfate-free shampoos, according to the pros and our editors.
This ultra-gentle daily shampoo is designed to effectively clean your hair without stripping away its strength and moisture. Natural ingredients like geranium, grapefruit and green tea help to maintain shine and elasticity. Meanwhile, sage and ylang-ylang balance your hair’s oils, making this a great option if you have greasy hair. It’s also a color-protecting formula that’s sulphate, paraben and cruelty-free, so it’s suitable for vegans.
- an antioxidant rich shampoo
- for everyday washers
- strengthens the hair and protects against colour fade or damage
- consists of plant components
If you’ve ever handled hair loss, thinning hair, or related conditions, then you’ll understand the appeal of Luseta’s Biotin & Collagen Hair Shampoo and Conditioner. Utilizing the natural powers of vitamin B7 (biotin), hydrolyzed collagen, argan oil, and other good-for-your-hair components, this paraben- and sulfate-free hair shampoo and conditioner pairing assists avoid loss of hair, promotes new growth, and adds volume and measurement to deliver a fuller look. Benefit points for no animal testing!
- 16.9 fl. oz. each (hair shampoo and conditioner)
- сreated with biotin + collagen to strengthen and thicken hair; may assist fix harmed hair and lower the indications of loss of hair
- ыafe for color-treated hair
This shampoo from salon favorite Redken is designed to keep your locks smooth and silky, with not a flyaway in sight – even when the humidity’s off the charts. The secret is Brazilian pracaxi oil, which helps to lock in moisture. In addition, the whole Frizz Dismiss range is free of both sulphates and salts to prevent your hair from drying out, so if you have frizz-prone hair, try using this shampoo with the matching conditioner and treatment.
- shampoo is a sodium chloride free
- anti frizz shampoo to tame frizzy hair
- increase smoothness and enhance shine
4. Baebody Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo with Keratin
The Baebody Moroccan Argan Oil line is a sulfate-free hair shampoo formulated for its gentle moisturizing and volumizing properties, especially for color-treated and curly hair. The natural formula contains a blend of powerful oils, fats and other active ingredients, including its titular Moroccan argan oil, plus coconut oil, almond oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, and keratin: repair, restore, enhance, and nurture your hair the natural way.
- 16 fl. oz.
- repair and reinforce hair naturally, with Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, keratin, almond oil, and coconut oil
- risk-free, money-back satisfaction warranty
Kéraste’s Smooth-in-Motion Shampoo is super nourishing and perfect for heat-treated or chemically straightened hair – which is already low on moisture. Containing a special polymer that morphs to the surface of the hair shaft, this product smooths out every strand for the ultimate silky finish. It’s also formulated to be almost as gentle as baby shampoo, so it’s ideal if you have sensitive skin.
- contains cationic polymer and Research Ceramide
- features an optimized base to create abundant lather
- helps gently cleanse hair while delivering the right dose of evenly distributed care
Aveeno’s Pure Renewal Gentle Shampoo is simply that: hair renewal that’s gentle on your follicles. The trick remains in the seaweed extract, which is incredibly vitamin-, mineral- and protein-rich, to provide a trifecta of hair nutrition. This sulfate-free shampoo will leave your hair free of impurities, but won’t remove out the things you like (and require): healthy shine, adequate hydration, and lots of body.
- 10.5 fl. oz.
- refresh, rebalance and restore hair’s natural wetness and manageability, with seaweed extract, natural vitamins, minerals and proteins
- safe for all hair types, including color-treated hair
Anyone who’s gone blonde in the last few years will be familiar with Olaplex. The California-based brand changed the game with their hair products, which chemically reverse the damage caused by bleach. The No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo has the same rebuilding properties as the full range and is sulphate-free to boot, so your lightened locks will be stronger and healthier than ever. Use it with other Olaplex products for the best results.
- repairs and maintains bonds within the hair
- leaves hair easy to manage, shiny, and healthier
- eliminates frizz and flyaway, reduces breakage
We enjoy things that are a little different – who doesn’t appreciate a nicely fragrant break from the standard? – and that’s one reason why this black vanilla shampoo from Carol’s Daughter makes our list. Other factors? To start, this mild hair shampoo contains none of the bad stuff – no sulfates, synthetic colors, parabens, and other no-nos – and still handles to increase hair shine, manageability and softness, even if you experience brittle or dull hair.
- 12 fl. oz.
- gently nourish, renew wetness, and boost shine with natural active ingredients, including sweet clover extract, aloe leaf juice, and rose extract
- contains no sulfates, no parabens, no mineral oil, no artificial colors, and no petroleum
MOROCCANOIL kicked off the trend for argan oil-infused haircare, so naturally, this Hydrating Shampoo contains their signature ingredient. Argan oil is rich in antioxidants and keeps your locks smooth and shiny. This shampoo also contains red algae extract and Vitamin A to moisturize dull and dehydrated strands. Because it’s sulphate-free, this floral-scented formula is gentle enough to use every day.
- infused with moisture,attracting red algae, antioxidant argan oil and Vitamins A and E
- cleanses and helps maintain an ideal moisture balance to promote healthy hair
- is gentle enough for daily use
Eco Beyond promises a gentle, yet hair-strengthening hair shampoo specifically created for limp, oily hair. As this is a natural, sulfate-free shampoo, its efficiency is due to its natural active ingredients– specifically, its Eco Farming Complex, which blends calendula, marshmallow and Woman’s Mantel to hydrate and protect your hairs, delivering shiny and thicker hair, even when you pass up the blow-dry treatment.
- 15.22 fl. oz. each (hair shampoo and conditioner)
- Ease oily, itchy scalp and smelly hair with infusions of blueberry, cranberry and juniper berry
- Dermatologically checked
This shampoo is formulated especially for dry hair, with praecox oil to keep your mane soft and shiny. Community Trade sugar cane helps to gently cleanse your hair, while two kinds of plant oils leave it nourished. In addition to being sulphate-free, this shampoo also doesn’t contain silicones, parabens or colors. Like all The Body Shop products, the formula is eco-friendly, is not tested on animals and is made with Fairtrade ingredients, so your conscience will be clean too.
- contains UV filter
- with praecox oil, bilberry extract, linseed oil and Community Trade sugar
- moisturizes and protects shine
12. Natural Mint Shampoo and Conditioner Set for Women and Men
For a revitalizing shower experience, Maple Holistics provides its sulfate-free hair shampoo and conditioner in cooling natural mint. Created for usage throughout winter months, when hair is more than likely to lose its luster and embrace a lifeless sheen, this one-two punch employs nourishing oils to develop tresses that are strong and smooth, from root to suggestion. We do like the seasonal scent, which packs peppermint, spearmint, wild bergamot mint, and eucalyptus mint onto jojoba oil, keratin, amino acids and other nutrients.
- 8 fl. oz. each (shampoo and conditioner)
- sulfate-, paraben- and cruelty-free formula for color-treated hair
- money-back satisfaction warranty
Need moisture? Provide this sulfate-free hair shampoo from R+C o a shot: it fights dry, breakable locks, whether the culprit is coloring, blow-drying, straightening (or curling), and even everyday sun damage. It depends on babassu oil to moisturize and bring back damaged hair, from roots to end, and also balances rosemary (scalp health), witch hazel (balance hydration), vegetable proteins (strengthen hair), and nettle (protect the color).
- 8.5 fl. oz.
- protects against color fading
- spirited and unpredictable fragrance, thanks to the addition of bergamot, wild fig, cyclamen, lotus flower, cedarwood and tonka beans
If you’ve ever emerged from the shower to a rat’s nest of a tangle, you’ll understand the requirement for this ultra-moisturizing and powerful detangling shampoo from Style Essentials. It works well for “thirsty” hair – wavy, curly, coily, and kinky textured hair that experiences brittleness and/or color-treated hair conditions – and provides maximum moisture, thanks to natural components consisting of avocado and almond oil. Conserves up to thirty minutes of detangling time!
- 32 fl. oz.
- contains no sulfates, parabens, parraffins, petrolatum, or mineral oils
- made in the U.S.A.
It’s difficult to find items for special-needs hair, however, LuxeOrganix provides. Voted finest for color-treated hair, keratin-treated hair, chemically-treated hair (highlights or bleach-dyed), damaged hair, dry hair, and even curly or frizzy hair, this Moroccan argan oil-infused formula revitalizes even the saddest, driest and most needy follicles, while supplying ultimate control and never-before-seen volume and fullness.
- 8 fl. oz. each (shampoo and conditioner)
- made in the U.S.A. with no sulfates, parabens, sodium chloride, gluten or phthalates
- fulfillment assurance